St Chad's Church
      St Chad's Church      

St. Chad's Building
History ....Architecture ....The Organ....St Oswald's

  Architecture: Baptistery ..Bell Tower ..Chancel & Nave ..East Window .. Lady Chapel .. Reredos  

Church Services

Learning & Growing


Christian Fellowship

Giving & Caring

Parish Diary & News

Music at St. Chads

Church Building

Social Activities

Contact Us

Parish Centre



The Lady Chapel / Chapel of St. Oswald

The Lady Chapel was built when the chancel was redesigned in 1911 and is also a memorial to Revd Walter Howard Stables who died of pneumonia in 1906.

The reredos is a memorial to Dr. Cartwright Smyth (the first vicar 1868-1890). Only one of the three windows is stained glass, depicting St.George and St. Alban, and is in memory of Henry Frederick Snowden who was killed on the Somme in 1916 aged 32. On the square pillar is a fine brass dated 1911 which refers to the dedication of the church in 1868 and the part played by the Beckett Dennison family in the founding of the church. The cathedra, or bishop's chair, dates from 1880.

The Chapel was renamed for St. Oswald when St. Oswald's Church in Meanwood was closed in July 2002. The glazing to separate it from the main church was installed during the reordering of 2011, providing an intimate space for services attended by small congregations.



The Lady Chapel/Chapel of St. Oswald